LexisNexis Academic supports legal research. This huge database provides access to Supreme Court decision from 1790 onward, Supreme Court Briefs, US Courts of Appeals, US District Court cases, state cases, Canadian law, some international law, Federal and State codes and regulations, tax law, patents and hundreds of professional and academic law journals and reviews. Additional legal resources are listed below.
Search for cases from the default search page:
Or, open the U.S. Legal tab on the left hand side of the page for more options for legal research:
Note the Landmark Cases option!
Use the various drop down menus to further focus your search:
The drop-down date range limit is very useful:
New Jersey and other state resources for law/legislation/regulation
- Atlantic Reporter (first series through second series) vol. 1 (1885) - v. 200 (1938) contains NJ and other state Supreme Court decisions: REF 348.73422 A 881a (shelved on A-level, in compact shelving)
- Atlantic Reporter, 2nd Series v. 1 (1938) - v. 859 (2005) contains NJ and other Supreme Court decisions: REF 348.73422 A881at (shelved on A-level, in compact shelving)
- New Jersey Reports v. 99 (1985) onward - contains NJ Supreme Court Decisions: NJ REF 348.749044 N532r (shelved on A-level, in compact shelving)
- New Jersey Superior Court Reports v. 201 (1985) onward - contains Appellate, Law and Tax Divisions. NJ REF 348.749044 N 5322r (shelved on A-level, in compact shelving)
- NJ Courts Online
- NJ Law - Rutgers Law School. Access NJ Constitution, Statutes, Bills, legislative history, Municipal and County ordinances, Regulations, Court decisions and much more.
- State Government Information Index
- State Blue Books
Resources for Federal law/legislation/regulation
- ProQuest Congressional - Track Bills, find members of Congress and Congressional Committees, research hot legislative topics and more. (linked fromhttp://www.drew.edu/library/research/electronic-resources-by-title)
- THOMAS from the Library of Congress:
- Access Congressional websites through the LSU Federal Agency Directory - Legislative
- Regulatory materials, budgets, presidential materials - CFR (Code of Federal Regulations); Federal Register; Budget; Executive Orders; State of the Union Speeches, etc.
- Justia Regulation tracker - track regulations by agency and by date.
- U.S. Courts
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Supreme Court Decisions- online and searchable: U.S. Supreme Court Decisions: U.S. Reports 150-, 1893- From Findlaw.
- Supreme Court Decisions - bound volumes of the United States Reports from 1991 onward. These contain the fourth and final generation of the Court's opinions, including all of the opinions, orders, and other materials issued by the Court.
- Selected Historical Decisions of the Court - from Cornell University.
- Supreme Court Collection- from Cornell University.
- Law Librarian's Society of Washington DC Legislative Sourcebook - links to all sorts of resources.
- How Our Laws are made - The best short, but comprehensive, view of the legislative process.
Constitution - Reference Resources
- Constitution of the United States of America- Ref KF4527 .U54 2004. Expert and comprehensive analysis of the Constitution and Constitutional issues.
- The Constitution of the United States of America : a contextual analysis - KF4550 .T869 2009
- Black's law dictionary 2009 - Ref KF156 .B53 2009
- Oran's dictionary of the law - Ref KF156 .O69 2008
- The bluebook : a uniform system of citation - Ref KF245 .U55 2005
- The Oxford companion to the Supreme Court of the United States - Ref KF8742 .A35 O93 2005. Also online.
- West's encyclopedia of American law - Ref KF154 .W47 2005
- A dictionary of legal theory - Ref K204 .B59 2004
- 1001 legal words you need to know - Ref KF156 .A113 2003
- The Oxford companion to American law - Ref KF154 .O96 2002 Also online.
- Historic U.S. court cases : an encyclopedia - Ref KF385 .A4 J64 2001
- Encyclopedia of the U.S. Supreme Court - Ref KF8742 .A35 E53 2001
- Landmark Supreme Court cases : a reference guide - Ref KF4549 .L58 1999 Also online
- Great American court cases - Ref KF385 .A4 G68 1999 Also online
- Legislative law and process in a nutshell - Ref KF4933 .Z9 D38 2007