Use Novell Messenger for secure instant messaging within Drew.
What is Novell Messenger?
Novell Messenger is a secure instant messaging system that provides for real-time text chat and instant messaging within the Drew community. In this respect, it is similar to third-party services that you may be familiar with such as AOL Instant Messenger, Yahoo! Messenger, Google Talk, Windows Messenger and others. In contrast to these services however, Novell Messenger is available within the Drew community only. All messages are encrypted and pass via an instant messaging server located on the Drew campus. As a result, we strongly recommend the use of Novell Messenger for University business over third-party services such as AOL Instant Messenger.
How can I install the Novell Messenger client on my computer?
Most recently issued Drew standard PCs come with the Novell Messenger client installed. If you do not have it installed, you may install the Messenger client by following the instructions below.
- Browse to https://messenger.drew.edu:8300/. Click on "Proceed anyway" when given an SSL error. Follow the on-screen instructions relevant to your operating system (Windows, Linux, or Mac OS X) to download and install the Messenger client.
- If you are prompted for a server hostname and port when starting Messenger for the first time, please enter messenger.drew.edu for the hostname and 8300 for the port number.
Who can use Novell Messenger?
Any member of the Drew community with a Drew uLogin account, including students, faculty, and staff, may use Novell Messenger.
What can I use Novell Messenger for?
We encourage everyone to use Novell Messenger. For communication within the Drew community, Novell Messenger provides a secure alternative to third-party services such as AOL Instant Messenger. Instant messaging is an excellent substitute for a phone call for quick questions. As more members of the Drew community start using Messenger, we hope that you find this a valuable tool.
You can also use Novell Messenger to join a chat room called "University Technology Support", to ask questions of UT staff while they are on shift. See the instructions below for more details on joining the chat room.
Using Novell Messenger
Adding a Contact
To add a contact, click the Add a Contact link at the bottom of the Novell Messenger window.
In the Find dialog box, type in the name of the person. If you do not know the full name, type in a portion of the name. Click the Next button.
In the Search Results dialog box, select the user you'd like to add. Click the Add button. Repeat these steps for as many contacts as you'd like to have in your list.
Sending a Message
To send a message to a contact, simply double-click that user's name in your contact list. A Conversation dialog box will appear. The conversation between you and your contact will appear in the upper pane. You type your message in the lower pane. To send the message, use the ENTER key on the keyboard.
Joining the University Technology Support Chat Room
To join a chat room:
- Go to the Actions menu and choose Join Chat Room...
- In the Join Chat Room dialog box, type in the name of the chat room (in this case, "university technology support").
- The chat room will open. You can see other participants in the Control Panel pane on the right.