Child pages
  • Alcohol, Marijuana and Other Drug Policy

Versions Compared


  • This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.


  1. Alcohol possession and consumption on campus is permitted only for students of legal age (21).  Alcohol can only be consumed in a students’ room or at university sponsored events.

  2. Healthy, legal consumption does not include competitive or binge drinking.  Competitive drinking includes any type of drinking games.

  3. Alcohol may not be above 100 proof.

  4. Common Sources are not allowed, including kegs and other containers of alcohol (e.g., punch bowls, “Jungle Juice”, etc), including an amount of alcohol that is not reasonable to be consumed by the above age residents of a room/suite.  

  5. Students of legal age may not give, leave in an easily accessible place, or sell alcohol to minors to transport, possess, or consume.   

  6. Students of legal age may not permit underage persons to possess or consume alcohol in their living unit.

  7. Minors may not transport, possess, consume, or purchase alcohol.   Used or empty containers found in a room or on one’s person, may constitute possession.

  8. Persons may not transport nor consume open containers of alcoholic beverages in public areas.

  9. Consumption in student rooms should neither infringe on the rights of other students to study nor negate any normal student activity.

  10. Alcoholic beverages may not be sold at any time except through approved liquor licenses by the university, borough and state.  Alcohol Permit (one-day): Special one-day permits are necessary for student events where alcohol is to be served. A form, available from the Madison town clerk, must be signed by both the Dean of Students and the Director of Public Safety and submitted to the Alcoholic Beverage Commission in Trenton.

  11. Public areas include hallways, foyers, stairwells, bathrooms, lounges, or other public areas, including outdoor University grounds, without an event liquor license, or any other area beyond an individually assigned resident room.  Propped room/suite doors may make that space public.

  12. All parts of an individual suite/quad, etc. shall be considered a residence hall room including a bathroom connected to the individual suite/quad, etc.

  13. Alcohol may be confiscated or the student may be asked to pour out containers.

  14. Full responsibility for compliance with policies and laws belongs to all students.  A student will be held responsible for their guests’ actions.  Guests violating the policies and laws may be asked to leave the campus or may be trespassed.  


Use of Drugs

Drugs (“controlled substances”) are defined as including all illegal drugs and misused legal drugs, both over-the counter and prescription, synthetic and other derivatives.  Commonly acknowledged drug paraphernalia is defined as equipment, products, or materials of any kind intended for use to plant, propagate, cultivate, grow, harvest, manufacture, compound, convert, produce, process, prepare, test, analyze, pack, repack, store, contain, conceal, ingest, inhale, or otherwise introduce into the human body a controlled dangerous substance.


Students should be aware that federal law dictates that any conviction in a court of law regarding controlled substances may lead to a loss of financial aid for a set period of time.


Violation of Policy

Alcohol Violations

Level 1 Alcohol Offense


Drug Sale or Manufacturing, or intent to Sell or Manufacture


1st Offense

•   Expulsion from the University



According to New Jersey State law, it is illegal for anyone under the age of 21 to:

  1. Purchase, possess, consume, manufacture, or distribute alcoholic beverages

  2. Enter places licensed to sell alcoholic beverages with the intent to purchase, have served or delivered to them, alcoholic beverages

  3. Misrepresent his/her age or the age of anyone else for the purpose of purchasing alcohol or gaining entrance to a place that sells or serves alcohol It is also illegal for anyone to purchase, manufacture, or distribute alcohol to a person who is under 21 years of age. In addition to criminal sanctions for violations of State law, there is potential civil liability for serving minors or serving a person who is already intoxicated.


Madison Ordinance on Alcoholic Beverages, Possession and Consumption by Minors on Private Property

Ordinance passed in 2013 and found in the Borough Code as Borough Code § 233-1


•   Change in personal grooming habits

•   Change in peer group or isolation from others


Alcohol and Other Drug Counselor

In view of the University’s commitment to educate and support the growth and development of the whole person, a full-time NJ Licensed Clinical Alcohol and Drug Counselor is available to anyone in the campus community during the academic year. If you or someone you know may have a problem with alcohol and/or drugs, the counselor provides assessment, education, and individual and group counseling. Referrals off-campus and to local support groups are also available. Call 973-408-3318 for assistance.