Instructions for specific devices are below. You can click on the images to see them larger.
Before you begin
The Terms of Service for using Google Apps is only available on the web, so before you set the account up on a mobile device, you will need to access your Drew Google account on the web. You only need to do this once, so if you've already logged in to your Google Apps account, you do not need to repeat this step.
1. Sign into your Drew Google account on the web. The easiest way is to simply go to http://mail.drew.edu.
2. Be sure to accept the Google Terms of Service and complete the "CAPTCHA."
3. Proceed to the instructions for your device.
Currently, users must explicitly enable IMAP before they are able to connect Mac Mail, Thunderbird, or another mail client to their account, or to set up their mobile device using the default Gmail settings. This must also be done from the web. Please visit https://support.google.com/mail/troubleshooter/1668960?hl=en#ts=1665018 to see how to enable IMAP.
For non-Android devices, University Technology recommends connecting to Google Apps with Google Sync support (see below for Android instructions). This support provides connectivity to Google Apps as if it were a Microsoft Exchange server. As such, you will use the following settings:
|title||Click here to expand for instructions...|
Adding your Drew account as a Google account
Although the University recommends using the Exchange account type for the reasons listed above, we realize some people prefer to add their account as a Google account. For those individuals, we provide these instructions. Some people may notice that they won't have access to Drew's global contact list in older versions of iOS (this means you will see auto-fill work for people you have emailed in the past, but possibly not for Drewids you've never emailed before).
|Please note: Some people prefer to use the Gmail app. We have seen recently that some people are unable to add their Drew account directly in the Gmail app. However, following the steps below to add your Google account in Settings on your device will work in iOS 11 and earlier. You can then choose to use the native Mail app, or you can return to the Gmail app and add your Drew account successfully. If you are running iOS 12, you should follow the directions below to add your Drew account as an Exchange account.|
- Go To the "Settings" app on your phone or iPad.
- Select "Mail, Contacts, Calendars". In iOS 11, select "Accounts & Passwords".
- Select "Add Account".
- Select "Google".
- Enter your Drew email address. Click Next.
- Enter your Drew username and password. Choose Login. If you are using Duo Security, approve the login the way you normally would on a computer browser.
- If you wish to turn a specific feature off, touch the button to the right of that feature. When satisfied, choose Save in the top right.
- You should now see a Gmail account in the Accounts list.
Adding your Drew account as an Exchange account
Please note that, although Google has disabled Exchange support for gmail.com accounts, it remains available for Google Apps accounts.
- Go to the "Settings" app on your phone or iPad.
- Select "Mail, Contacts, Calendars". If you are running iOS 11, select "Accounts & Passwords".
- Select "Add Account".
- Select "Exchange".
- Enter your Drew email address and uLogin password (or device password, found at drew.edu/duo) in the fields on the screen. In iOS 11, enter only your Drew email address.
- Use an informative name for Description such as "Drew Email".
- Click Next.
- If prompted to send data to Microsoft or configure manually, choose "Configure Manually", then provide your password (or device password) and click Next again.
Enter the the following information into the open fields.
Email= email@example.com (should be filled in from prior screen)
Password= Your Drew uLogin Password, or if you have enrolled in the Duo Two-Factor Authentication service, your device password (should be filled in from prior screen).
When you are finished entering all the information please click on Next.
- Choose what to sync. For example, here we turned off "Reminders" sync. Click Save.
Note: The password for your account will not actually be checked until you select "Save" above. Thus if the password was not entered correctly you may be prompted to reenter it.