All available from the Databases by Title list on the library website.
Searches journals in education; includes lots of full text journal articles and some book/report publications.
Indexes both journals in education and educational reports. Reports (ERIC Documents) may be available as scanned full text. Limit to Journal articles and Publication Type: Reports - Research to find research articles. Can also be searched, under some limitations, at http://www.eric.ed.gov/
PsycInfo (Psychological Abstracts, PsycArticles)
PsycInfo indexes scholarly literature in psychological and related social sciences, from 19th century to present. Indexed books and book chapters may be obtained via ILL if not in our collection. Also includes dissertations (about 12% of the database), which are more difficult to obtain. Use Limit Search to check box for Journal Articles to eliminate books & dissertations. You can also limit by publication type, methodology, and age.
PsycArticles searches the full text of a limited number of American Psychological Association journals. Using PsycInfo and clicking the "Search for Article" button will give you access to all the titles in this database, plus a wider variety of others.
General indexes which cover educational journals:
Indexes academic journals, newspapers, magazines, and some educational reports. A significant number of articles and reports are included in full text/PDF; otherwise use "Search for Article" button. Choose Academic Journals subset after searching for best results. Includes a Visual Search component.
Indexes scholarly journals, newspapers, magazines, trade publications, some educational reports and some dissertations. Limit to Scholarly Journals for best results. A significant number of articles and reports are included in full text/PDF; otherwise use "Search for Article" button.
- Educational Leadership -- online through Education Research Complete
- Phi Delta Kappan (also known as Kappan) -- online through Education Research Complete
- Encyclopedia of Education. 2nd Ed. 2003. 8 volumes
REF LB15 .E47 2003
Articles on topics relating to education, with bibliographies and internet resources. Use the index in Volume 8.
- Greenwood Dictionary of Education. 2003.
REF LB15 .G68 2003
General dictionary for terms relating to both education practice and education theory.
- Encyclopedia of American Education. Harlow G. Unger. 2nd Ed. 2001. 3 volumes.
LB17 .U54 2001
Focuses on people, ideas and events in American Education. Index in volume 3.
- World education encyclopedia. 2002. 3 volumes.
REF LB15 .W87 2001
- Edspeak : a glossary of education terms, phrases, buzzwords, and jargon.
REF LB15 .R285 2007
- Philosophy of Education: An Encyclopedia.
REF LB 17 .P485
- Handbook of research on teacher education: enduring questions in changing contexts.
REF LB1715 .H274
- SAGE Handbook for Research in Education.2006
REF LB1028 .S14 2006
- Learning Theories: A to Z. David C. Leonard. 2002
REF LB15 .L4695 2002
Definitions of 500 terms defining or relating to learning theories
- SAGE Handbook of Curriculum and Instruction.2008
REF LB2806.15 .S24 2008
- Encyclopedia of Social And Cultural Foundations of Education.}
REF LB 17 .E53 2009
- Critical Thinking and Learning: an Encyclopedia for Parents and Teachers. 2004.
REF LB1590.3 .C735 2004
Provides multiple essays on Critical Thinking-related topics such as Literacy, Curriculum, Diversity, etc.
- U.S. Department of Education Website:
Dept. of Education publications and policies. Drew also has Dept. of Education publications in print.
- Digest of Education Statistics.
Annual compliation of education statistics, primarily governmental but with international comparisons.
- Condition of Education.
Indicators and analyses of U.S. education, published annual by the Federal Government
- Mental Measurements Yearbook. Buros.
REF BF431 .M46
Profiles and reviews of "English-language standardized tests covering educational skills, personality, vocational aptitude, psychology, and related areas."
- Patterson's American Education. Annual.
REF L901 .P3 2011
Directory of public and private secondary schools, arranged by state and town (post office). Entries include school enrollment, grade name, superintendent or principal and address/phone contacts, URLs (if available)
- Encyclopedia of Learning Disabilities. 2002.
REF LC4704.5 .T86 2002
Covers types of learning disabilities as well as terms and topics related to diagnosis and treatment.
- Concise Encyclopedia of Special Education: A reference for the Education of the Children, Adolescents and Adults with Disabilities and other Exceptional Individuals. 3rd ed. 2007.
REF LC4007 .E53 2002
Special education terms covered in encyclopedic dictionary format. Some bibliographies & statistics.
- Encyclopedia of Disability, 2006, REF HV1568 .E528 2006
- Encyclopedia of Adolescence. 2 vol. 1991. HQ796 .E58 1990
Philosophical, theoretical, and historical coverage of adolescence-related topics.
- Encyclopedia of Children and Childhood in History and Society. 2004. 3 vols. REF HQ767.84 .E53 2003 or
Useful for background/historical material.
- Encyclopedia of Education Law. 2008 REF KF4117 .E53
- Almanac of American Education. 2004. REF LA217.2 .A45 2004
Provides statistics on education and students in America, compiled from U.S. Government sources. Compares state/county data. See nces.ed.gov and census.gov for updated numbers.
- Corsini encyclopedia of psychology and behavioral science.4 vols. 2010. REF BF31 .E52 2010
Multi-page articles with bibliographies on a variety of psychological and behavioral terms and topics.
- Handbook of psychology. 2003. REF BF121 .H1955
Of special interest is volume 7, Educational Psychology. Long (3+ pages) articles arranged by topic-- check the index of the volume or the set for your topic.
- Requirements for Certification of Teachers, Counselors, Librarians, Administrators for Elementary and Secondary Schools.2010-2010. REF LB1771 .W6
Lists, by state, requirements and procedures for educational professionals to obtain certification.
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development
- National Council of Teachers of English
- National Council for the Social Studies
- National Science Teachers Association
Free Web Resources
- Education Week on the Web: http://www.edweek.org/ew/index.html
- Educator's Reference Desk http://www.eduref.org/
- GEM: Gateway to 21st Century Skills http://www.thegateway.org/
- Content Knowledge 4th Edition (Online) http://www.mcrel.org/standards-benchmarks/
Searchable & browseable compilation of content standards for K-12 curriculum.