What is the Personal Librarian Program?
The Personal Librarian Program is designed to introduce students entering Drew University to information literacy skills and the collections and services of the Drew Libraries. As a first year student, you will be matched with a Librarian based on your college seminar group, a relationship that will continue through your first year. When you declare a major, you will graduate to the reference librarian for your department/major, who will help you with the research you do for your major.
First Year students: check your college seminar name to find your librarian.
Personal Librarians work with students to find and use the information resources-- books, databases, journals, websites, etc-- available at Drew. We provide personalized help, assisting students to become savvy and skilled users of information and research.
Your Personal Librarian will contact you occasionally throughout the year to let you know about new databases and tools, library tips, and research methods and strategies. You are encouraged to contact your Personal Librarian with any questions you have about your research or the Library. How often you choose to avail yourself of your Personal Librarian is entirely up to you.
If you have questions about Personal Librarians, contact Jody Caldwell, the head of Reference.
How can my Personal Librarian help me?
Your Personal Librarian will:
- Keep you informed with periodic e-mail messages highlighting new resources and programs specifically for students, as well as with notices and timely reminders, such as extended Library hours during Reading Week and finals
- Meet with you at your request -- or your professor's -- for research/information consultations on your projects and papers.
- Answer your questions about Library policies, procedures and services, such as EndNoteWeb and Interlibrary Loan
- Assist with finding information for your research assignments, by helping you articulate your research question, identify the best sources, and formulate your search strategies
- Point you to online resources and even websites that go far beyond Google and Wikipedia
- Support you even when you’re not on campus (on vacation or away from Drew, doing research)
- Help you when you don’t know where to start, or you can’t think of what to do next
Things we don’t do:
Your Personal Librarian won’t:
- Set up your computer (i.e. Drew login, wireless setup, etc.)
- Do your research, make photocopies or write your paper for you
- Provide course advising
Personal Librarian Contacts for First Year Students
Librarians Assigned to Departments and Majors
URL of this page: https://uknow.drew.edu/confluence/x/UYCUAQ