Malware and Viruses
Malware = spyware or a virus.
- Spyware: program that installs itself on your computer and gathers info about you (sometimes known as "tracking cookies")
- Virus: self-reproducing computer program that spreads by inserting copies of itself into other programs or documents
Malware spreads across campus, computer to computer on the network.
There's no one clear sign of a virus or malware, but there are some warning signs:
- Slow performance
- Windows folders opening on startup
- Unprompted popups
- Questionable search engines where your homepage used to be
- Warnings on your desktop about dangerous programs on your system
Please note: a slow computer or the "blue screen of death" does not always mean you have a virus! It could also be hardware problems.
The best defense against malware and viruses is a good offense: PROTECTION IS BEST!
Below we list some options you have for anti-virus and anti-malware software.