Content from ScienceDirect is available through Drew Library's subscription to a select group of Elsevier journals (See Table below) and through "pay-per-download" (ppd) access to all other unsubscribed content, paid for by Drew Library.
- Access to subscribed content from ScienceDirect is restricted to Drew University users (including current students, faculty and staff) and patrons using Drew Library public computers.
- Access to unsubscribed content is restricted to Drew University users only (current students, faculty and staff).
Procedures for obtaining "pay-per-download" content varies, depending on the user. Please see the appropriate instructions for Drew Students and Drew Faculty/Staff.
Table of ScienceDirect Subscribed journal titles, 2019
Drew users have unlimited access to articles from these journals
For Drew University Students:
Students may access pay-per-download articles from ScienceDirect journals outside of Drew University's Core Subscription package by submitting a request through the Drew Library Chat feature (link: http://www.drew.edu/library/ask-a-librarian) during select hours, Sun-Wed; 7-9PM and Mon-Fri; 9-5PM, semesters only, or by using the Interlibrary Loan system (HERE). See instructions for both below.
Depending on when the request is submitted, the Librarian answering the Library Chat may be able to supply the ScienceDirect article within 30 minutes to 1 hour, while Interlibrary Loan may supply the desired article(s) sometime between 12 - 72 hours.
*** NOTE: Students do NOT need to register in order to access or download articles. They MAY register with Science Direct to keep track of Saved Citations, etc.
Step-by-step guide to obtain pay-per-download (ppd) articles
To obtain the desired article through Library Chat during the hours Sun-Thurs; 6-10PM and Mon-Fri; 9-5PM, semesters only,
- If you were unable to locate the article through GoogleScholar, submit your request through the LibraryChat box if available.
- Use the CHAT box found on the Scholar Search Results page to ask for an article – supply the Librarian with citation information by copy and pasting the relevant information into the chat box. . Once request has been received through Library Chat, student may receive the article via email in approx. 2 hours.
- If you are searching in Science Direct, provide the Librarian with the article citation as follows:
- Highlight and copy citation information
- Click on the "Ask a Librarian" link to access the Library Chat feature.
- If Library Chat is online, greet and let the librarian know you are interested in obtaining a ScienceDirect article.
- Then copy and paste citation into Library chat box. Please include your email address and name.
- Once request has been received through Library Chat, student may receive the article via email in approx. 2 hours.
To obtain the desired Pay-Per-Download article through InterLibrary Loan:
- From ScholarSearch, click “Use ILL to obtain article(when chat is unavailable) on the bottom of the following screen. See screenshot below.
- Sign into your ILLiad account and the article information will automatically fill in the appropriate spots in the form.
- Type '0' in the spot marked “Max you are willing to pay”
- Choose Yes or No in the field: "Have you checked the Drew Catalog or 'Find Journals' list to see if we own this item? "
- Click “Submit request”.
- From the ScienceDirect database, copy and paste title of the article interest into ScholarSearch. Select the article you are seeking from the results and request through the InterLibrary Loan Link provided. Updated instructions to follow when access is simplified through ScienceDirect.
You should receive the article in 12 - 72 hours after submitting your request.
Access for Faculty and Staff has not changed.
Drew University Faculty and Staff Users
To be able to download articles through Science Direct, you must register one time only.
- Click on the link provided to obtain Registration ID and Password information. LINK: Request a Registration ID and Password
- On the resulting page you will need to log in using your Drew uLogin ID and Password. (for Drew ULogin ID, use jsmith, not firstname.lastname@example.org)
- After logging in correctly, you will receive a "Registration ID and Password."
- Click on the ScienceDirect link provided on the page that contains your Registration ID and password to complete the registration process.
- Please go to the new LibGuide HERE for further information about registration.
Please SAVE the pdf of the article you download from ScienceDirect. Every download results in at least a $23.00 charge to Drew Library-- even it's the same article within minutes of successive downloads. Please contact the Library if you have any questions or concerns.
Have other questions? Ask us!
Library Systems Administrator
Electronic Resources Librarian