Formerly: Carriage House for the Gibbons
Construction Date: 1834
Built by William Gibbons in 1834, the building originally housed the stables of Gibbons’ “famed thoroughbred horses.” In 1867, after Daniel Drew donated $75,000 for renovations, Asbury Hall became home to seminary students. It housed the seminary librarian from 1901 until his replacement by a faculty member in 1913 and was completely rebuilt in the 1920s.
In 1931, when Drew College opened, Asbury became home to the school’s (all-male) undergraduates. In the fall of 1953, Asbury Hall began housing women students, and by the early 1980s was home to undergraduates and Theological School students. Today, it is used as a residence hall for college and graduate students (and for students participating in two theme houses: La Casa and Asia Tree House.)
John T. Cunningham, “From Gibbons to Great Expectations,” Drew Magazine (Spring 1998), 39.
Composed by Anthony D. Rogers,
Courtesy of the Drew University Archives.