Gilbert House was named after Rev. William Marshall Gilbert, the nation's first chair of Home Missions. Initially a faculty residence, it became a women’s dorm in the 1940's. In the 1960's it was Dean Stonesifer's home. In the 1970's the building provided additional lab, classrooms, and office space for the College and contained the university offices of student services, student employment and financial aid. During 1981-1983 Gilbert House contained the financial aid office, seminar rooms, and the sociology department. By 1991 it housed the history department and a few years later it also housed the African-American/African Studies department.
Composed by Anthony D. Rogers, Courtesy of the Drew University Archives.