What does your phone tell people when they call?
While employees were working remotely, we suggested forwarding our phones. The suggestions can no longer be as straightforward due to the breadth of working situations, but you should check - and routinely review - how your phone is set up (will it ring? what does your voicemail greeting say?).
If you manage your department's phone extension, please check to make sure people are given the proper information when calling.
You can include an email address in the voicemail greeting if that is appropriate.
Set your desk phone to Available
Please note: These instructions assume your Available state is still set to the default configuration and that you are sitting at your phone.
- Press the State soft key. The availability states are displayed, and the active state is indicated with a check mark.
- To select a different availability state, do one of the following:
- On the key pad, press the number of the desired availability state. We recommend 1 Available.
- Use the or navigation keys to scroll to the desired availability state (we recommend Available), and press the OK soft key.
- The availability state for your phone changes to the selected state.
If you wish to change your availability state from a different phone or make other changes, please continue reading below the box.
Update your Voicemail Greeting
Especially if you will only be on campus some days during the week, you will want your voicemail greeting (the message that plays when someone is directed to your voicemail) to reflect this.
- Call 973-408-4933. (From your desk phone, press the voicemail button and then the button that says "Call VM"; skip to step 3)
- Enter your extension.
- Enter your password followed by #.
- Press 7 to change mailbox options.
- Press 2 to hear the availability states.
- Press the number for the appropriate state (such as 1 for Available or 4 for Vacation).
- Press 1 to record a personal greeting.
- Record your greeting. Press # to finish, and # again to accept.
- Hang up to disconnect from voicemail.
Although you receive voicemail recordings in your email, they continue to live in your voicemail storage until you choose to delete them.
Once you hit 60 messages, you will no longer be able to receive voicemail messages.
Follow the directions at Deleting Mitel Voicemail Messages to delete messages.
One of the features of the Mitel phone is availability states, which allow you to do things like send a call straight to voicemail when you are on vacation.
From the Mitel Connect IP485g User Guide:
You can set six distinct availability states for your extension. These availability states can be configured with various options to forward incoming calls to another number or send them to voicemail. Using the voicemail system, you can also record a different personal greeting for each availability state.
By using your phone’s interface, you can configure options for each availability state, such as call forwarding destinations, number of rings, and simultaneous ring.
The availability states are as follows:
- Available (the default) allows you to answer all incoming calls.
- In a Meeting
- Out of Office
- Do not disturb
To Change What Will Happen for Each Availability State on Your Phone
The default for all of the Availability States is to forward to voicemail (7101 for forwarding; note that you would call 4933 if trying to retrieve voicemail from off-campus). If you wish to change that default behavior for a particular state, follow these steps.
- Press the Options soft key.
- Enter your voicemail password, and press the OK soft key. The Options menu opens, and the Availability option is highlighted.
- With the Availability option highlighted, press the Edit soft key.
- Use the navigation key to scroll to the availability state for which you want to specify options, and then press the Edit soft key.
- Specify when to forward calls by using the Next value or Prev value soft keys or the or keys on the navigation key pad to highlight one of the following values:
- Always means that calls received when this availability state is active are always forwarded to the specified destination number. When you select Always, you can also specify the Alwaysdestination, which is the number that you want calls forwarded to, or you can accept the default.
- No answer means that calls received when this availability state is active will be forwarded to the specified destination number only when you do not answer your phone or when your phone is unable to accept additional calls. You can also configure the following options or accept the defaults:
- No answer destination Specify the number you want calls forwarded to when you do not answer them.
- Number of rings Specify the number of times the phone rings before the call is forwarded.
- Busy destination Specify the number to forward the call to if your extension is busy.
- Never means that calls received when this availability state is active will never be forwarded.
- After setting options, press the Back soft key. The changes are saved.
- Do one of the following:
- To set the selected availability state as the active availability state, press the OK soft key.
- To continue without changing the availability state, press the Cancel soft key.
- Press the Exit soft key.
Let's say you're going on vacation for a week. Here are the steps you can take. Note that we are assuming you have not changed the default behavior for your Vacation state and that it is set to Always forward to voicemail (7101). If you wish to set a different voicemail greeting for the vacation state, please follow these steps: If you do not need to change your voicemail greeting, you can follow steps 1-6 above from any phone (and then hang up to disconnect) or these steps below from your desk phone. Reviewed 5/31/23
Example: Going on Vacation for a Week
To Change Current Availability State
From your desk phone
From another phone
Let's say you're going on vacation for a week. Here are the steps you can take. Note that we are assuming you have not changed the default behavior for your Vacation state and that it is set to Always forward to voicemail (7101).
If you wish to set a different voicemail greeting for the vacation state, please follow these steps:
If you do not need to change your voicemail greeting, you can follow steps 1-6 above from any phone (and then hang up to disconnect) or these steps below from your desk phone.