Lenox Rose, wealthy Madison resident, and his wife Nellie, who took classes at Drew, maintained a friendship with President Tipple for many years. Upon Mrs. Rose's death in 1935, her will made provision for a memorial building at Drew, initiated by her husband before his death in 1937. They gave $600,000 toward the building of Rose Memorial Library, in addition to $1.5 million in scholarship money. Rose Memorial Library, opened in February 1939, had ten times the space of the old Cornell Library.
Courtesy of the Drew University Archives