*Indicates that Drew University Archives contains a significant collection relating to the person/family.
Arthur and Leonard Baldwin, two brothers who grew up on a farm in the nineteenth century and went on to become very successful lawyers, made a donation to Drew that forever changed the small Theological Seminary into a university. Leonard, a Drew trustee since 1917, and Arthur had a friendly relationship with President Tipple, whom they surprised in 1928 with their enthusiasm to endow a liberal arts college at Drew. They donated $1.5 million for the building and endowment of Brothers College (this required a name change of Drew Theological Seminary to the more encompassing Drew University). Leonard Baldwin died in 1933, followed by Arthur in 1939. In the 1950s, Brothers College became known as the College of Liberal Arts. Portrait (Finding Aid: PDF, HTML)
A generous benefactor to Drew between 1890 and 1910, trustee Samuel Bowne's many donations resulted in the building of Hoyt-Bowne dormitory, Bowne Gymnasium, and Samuel W. Bowne Hall. Bowne died in 1910.
Oscar Buck, son of Drew alumnus Philo M. Buck, joined the Drew faculty in 1919 as professor of missions and comparative religions. He died in 1941.
Cornell, John B.
John B. Cornell, a university trustee, donated one-third of the total cost of Drew's first library. Unfortunately, he died before the Cornell Library was dedicated in 1888. In 1890, his wife gave a stained glass window to the library in his honor. The Cornell Library was destroyed in 1938 in order to build a larger Rose Memorial Library. The stained glass window, however, continues to grace the entrance to Drew's library and learning center.
Crooks, George R.
George R. Crooks joined Drew in 1880 as professor of historical theology, upon the departure of President Hurst. An ordained minister, Crooks had been a long-time advocate of theological training and editor of The Methodist. Crooks was one of "the Great Five" revered professors who led Drew for decades. He died in 1897.
*Craig, Clarence Tucker
Clarence Tucker Craig was named dean of the Seminary in 1949. A superior scholar, Craig also held the chair in New Testament studies. His time at Drew, however, was brief; Craig died in 1953.
Daniel Drew, the Wall Street financier whose gift made possible the founding of Drew Theological Seminary, was born in Carmel, New York, in 1797. He had limited formal schooling and began his career in the cattle industry. Drew married Roxanna Mead in 1823, and they moved to New York, where Drew pursued many other prosperous business interests, including steamboats, railroads and stocks. Drew, who had converted to Methodism as a teenager, attended St. Paul's Church (formerly the Mulberry Street Church) in New York, where John McClintock came to be pastor in 1857. In the 1860s, Drew decided to finance a theological school with James McClintock as its president. In 1866, Drew pledged $500,000 to found the Drew Theological Seminary. Though nearly half of this endowment was lost when Daniel Drew faced financial ruin in the 1870s, he continued as a trustee until his death in 1879.
Faulkner, John Alfred
John Alfred Faulkner came to Drew in 1897 as professor of church history, having earned his A.B. at Acadia College and his B.D. at Drew. He was affectionately called "Uncle Johnny" by students. Faulkner died in 1931.
*Felton, Ralph A.
Ralph A. Felton joined the Drew faculty in 1931 as professor of rural sociology. Felton's work focused on the training of African-Americans for rural ministry. It is estimated that Felton trained more than 9,000 African-American ministers through a variety of summer and extension courses until his retirement from Drew in 1952. He died in 1974.
Thomas Gibbons was a Savannah lawyer turned New York steamboat tycoon. With his son, William Gibbons, and his captain, Cornelius Vanderbilt, he took on New York ferry monopolies and won a Supreme Court decision regulating interstate commerce. Gibbons died in 1826. A longer account of Thomas Gibbons' life is available. (Finding Aid: PDF, HTML)
William Gibbons was the son of steamboat tycoon Thomas Gibbons. Upon the death of his father, William inherited Thomas' assets - steamboat holdings, land, houses and several plantations in the south, which included more than 500 slaves. It is believed that William's wife, Abigail Louise Taintor, persuaded her husband to buy land in Madison, New Jersey. In time, William had collected 205 acres in "The Forest," and in 1833, the Gibbons' built a plantation-style mansion (now called Mead Hall), a stable for William's racehorses and a granary. In 1844, Abigail died, followed by her husband in 1852. Their son sold the property in 1867, to Daniel Drew, at which time the Gibbons' mansion became the main building of Drew Theological Seminary. (Finding Aid: PDF, HTML)
Will Herberg was Andrew V. Stout Professor of Philosophy and Culture at Drew University's Graduate School, where he taught from 1955 until his retirement in 1976. He was an internationally renowned Jewish scholar, best known for his landmark book, Protestant-Catholic-Jew, published in 1955, which changed religious scholarship to this day. He died in 1977. (Finding Aid: PDF, HTML)
*Hough, Lynn Harold
Lynn Harold Hough, a prominent Methodist preacher, writer, and former president of Northwestern University, had taken a B.D. degree at Drew in 1905. He returned to Drew in 1930, at the age of 53, as professor of homiletics. In 1934, he was named dean of the Seminary (the Seminary's first). Hough retired in 1947, and he died in 1971. (Finding Aid: PDF, HTML)
William Hoyt was one the university's most generous trustees, and his efforts included the construction of Hoyt-Bowne dormitory and Seminary Hall. He died in 1902.
George D. Kelsey was Henry Anson Buttz Professor of Christian Ethics at Drew University, where he taught for 24 years. While teaching at Morehouse College, Kelsey became a mentor to Martin Luther King, Jr., then a student. Kelsey served as an executive with the Federal Council of Churches and the National Council of Churches. He was the author of Racism and the Christian Understanding of Man and Social Ethics Among Southern Baptists, 1917-1969, and was a frequent contributor to religious and academic journals and symposia. He died in 1996. (Finding Aid: PDF, HTML)
McDonald, W. Scott
W. Scott McDonald came to Drew in 1975 as vice president for planning. He subsequently held the posts of vice president for administration and finance, and executive vice president & Chief Operating Officer. In 1988, he became interim president for nearly two years while Drew awaited its tenth president.
Carl Michalson, a prominent theologian, was Andrew V. Stout Professor of Systematic Theology at Drew University, where he taught from 1943 to 1965. He was a prolific author, editor, and translator. His tragic death in an airplane crash in 1965 was mourned throughout the international community of theologians and intellectuals.
John Miley joined the Drew faculty as chair of systematic theology in 1873, after his brother-in-law, President Foster, left the seat vacant. Miley had graduated from Augusta College and, as a pastor, had held nineteen different appointments. Miley was one of "the Great Five" revered professors who led Drew for decades. He was the author of Systematic Theology. Miley died in 1895.
John L. Pepin came to Drew in 1955 as treasurer. He subsequently became executive vice president and served twice as the university's acting president. In 1977, the university's services center was named in his honor. Pepin died in 1999.
Neal Riemer was Andrew V. Stout Professor of Political Philosophy at Drew University, where he taught from 1972-1992. A prolific scholar, Riemer earned his M.A. and Ph.D. from Harvard University, held many prestigious academic posts, and left an extensive body of work in the areas of politics, human rights, and religion. He died in 2001.
Rogers, Robert William
Robert William Rogers arrived at Drew in 1893 to fill the chair in exegetical theology. He had received his B.A. from the University of Pennsylvania in 1886, a second B.A. from Johns Hopkins, and a Ph.D. from Haverford in 1890, as well as other earned and honorary degrees. Rogers had an international reputation for scholarship, but he remained a distinguished faculty member at Drew for thirty-six years. He died in 1930.
Rose, Lenox and Nellie T.
Lenox Rose, wealthy Madison resident, and his wife Nellie, who took classes at Drew, maintained a friendship with President Tipple for many years. Upon Mrs. Rose's death in 1935, her will made provision for a memorial building at Drew, initiated by her husband before his death in 1937. They gave $600,000 toward the building of Rose Memorial Library, in addition to $1.5 million in scholarship money. Rose Memorial Library, opened in February 1939, had ten times the space of the old Cornell Library.
Sitterly, Charles Fremont
Charles Fremont Sitterly began his career at Drew in 1892 as assistant to the president. He had completed a Ph.D. from Syracuse University in 1885 and pursued further study at Drew in 1886. In 1891, Sitterly married President Buttz's daughter, Julia, and he stayed at Drew as adjunct professor. In 1895, he was appointed full professorship in Biblical literature and Exegesis of the English Bible. Sitterly retired in 1935. Three years later he published a history of Drew titled The Building of Drew University. (Buttz-Sitterly Collection Finding Aid: PDF, HTML)
James Strong was a Methodist layman who argued for formal ministerial training and the establishment of a major Methodist seminary in the mid-Atlantic region prior to Drew's founding. He studied at Wesleyan, attained three degrees, and became acting president of Troy University before joining the faculty of Drew as chair of exegetical theology in 1868. Strong was one of "the Great Five" revered professors who led Drew for decades. In 1884, he produced the Strong's Concordance Bible, which is still in print today. He died in 1893, after serving Drew for nearly twenty-five years.
Upham, Samuel F.
Samuel Upham joined the Drew faculty as professor of practical theology in 1880, equipped with an A.B. and an M.A. from Wesleyan University and twenty-two years of preaching experience in New England. Upham was one of "the Great Five" revered professors who led Drew for decades, and he also served as librarian. Upham died in 1904 at the age of 70.
The Wendel family had ties to Drew beginning with President McClintock in the mid-nineteenth century. A wealthy and mysterious family from New York City, the Wendels were modest benefactors through Drew's early years. President Tipple nurtured a relationship with the family, which consisted of a brother and seven sisters (only one of whom married) in the 1920s. As time passed, only one daughter, Ella Wendel, remained as sole inheritor of the multi-million dollar Wendel estate. Upon her death in 1931, Drew received a small part of the estate, including the family mansion in New York City, in total a gift valued at $5 million. (Finding Aid: PDF, HTML)
Young, Sherman Plato
Sherman Plato Young graduated from Drew Theological Seminary in 1928 and was subsequently hired to teach Latin and Greek in the newly established Brothers College. Also Drew's baseball coach, the Young Athletic Field was so named in his honor.
- Cunningham, John. University in the Forest: The Story of Drew University. Third edition, 2002.
- Faculty/Staff Biography Files, Drew University Archives. Madison, New Jersey.